09 March 2010

Goodbye USA

This past week has been a whirlwind of preparation...packing, paperwork, saying goodbye, more packing, more paperwork. Yesterday we all met in Georgetown for orientation, basically getting to know each other, getting to know the peace corps, and of course even more paperwork. In about an hour they will shuttle us over to the federal clinic for vaccinations then drop us off at the airport (5 hours early mind you...). After that it's an 8 hour flight directly to Dakar.

There are 42 of us going over to Senegal to work in Health and Environment programs...about twice as many as I was anticipating. I think its the people you're with that really make or break an experience like this, and so far it seems like a really great group. I'm excited to put all of the preparation behind and really dive right in. I can't wait to learn more about my fellow trainees, explore Senegalese culture, try out the local languages, and of course eat some mangoes.

It sounds like we're going to have a pretty jam-packed first week and post so I don't know that I'll be able to get on the internet for a few days. Next update will be from Senegal!

No comments:

Post a Comment