12 March 2010

First Impressions

First view of Senegal from the airport bus

We've only been here 3 days, but they have been three of the most jam packed days of my life so it feels like much longer (in a good way). So far we haven't seen much except the training center, although we did get out and walk around the city a little this afternoon. I didn't do a lot of research before I got here because I didn't want to have any preconceived notions, and I'm still trying to keep an open mind, but here are some of my first impressions so you can get an idea of what things are like here. Keep in mind these will most likely change, this is just based on what I've observed so far.

My Fellow PCTs: I feel like its the people you're with that can really make or break an experience like this, so I was a little nervous meeting everyone for the first time at orientation. Thankfully we have the best Stage (group) ever to serve in Senegal (I may or may not be a bit biased). We all get along really well, and we're already comfortable enough with each other to discuss squatty potty technique without embarrassment. I can honestly say there isn't a single person I don't really like, and in a group of 41 that's saying something.

The Weather: Hot, but not too bad. We're just coming into the hot season now so its going to get significantly hotter over the next few months, but for now it has been hovering around 90-95 during the day and 70-80 at night. It takes a little adjusting to, but for now its not unbearable.

The People: We really haven't been out of the compound enough for me to get a feel for the average Senegalese person, but all of the staff at the training center has been absolutely amazing. Granted they are used to our western mannerisms...

The City of Thies:
(pronounced 'chess') We only got to go out and explore for a little bit today, bit so far I like the look of the place. We passed the market and I can't wait to go back and explore it more. There are a couple of really nice restaurants and the Bon Marche sells all kinds of food and snacks.

The Food:One word: amazing. I've heard the food they cook us at the training is especially exceptional, but I think I'm going to like most everything I eat here. Most of what I've had here has been rice based, but the different sauces are amazing. I can't wait to get out and try some street food. I've heard fried millet cakes are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment