21 August 2012

AB Mountain

View from halfway up the mountain, town of Skagway in the valley on the right
 In mid-July, after several weeks of they typical Southeast Alaska rain we had a rare day of sunshine, so I took advantage of it by heading up AB mountain after work. I started at 6pm and finished the 10 mile round trip with a 5,052 foot gain in elevation at exactly midnight. Fortunately in mid-summer the sun never sets so I had plenty of light. What I didn't have was plenty of clothing. I was surprised to find snow still at the top of the mountain, so I only spent about 30 minutes at the summit enjoying the view before I headed back down. Here are a few pictures from my trip.

Enjoying the July snow near the summit
Nearing the top at 5,000 feet

View from the summit at 10pm, still light as day



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete