22 July 2010

Get out there



I've been getting a lot of messages lately from friends and family talking about how proud they are of me for volunteering. I really appreciate all of the support (it makes my day!) but I wanted to let you guys know that it doesn't take 2 years in the middle of nowhere Africa to make a difference. There are plenty of things you can do right in your own community that don't involve exposure to scary bugs and strange diseases that can make just as big of an impact on the world as what I'm doing here in Senegal.



Check out www.serve.gov for some inspiration and to find volunteering opportunities right in your own back yard. Volunteering doesn't have to be a chore...find something you're passionate about and share it with your community. If you like to grow vegetables talk to your local school about building a school garden, if you like to exercise think about competing for a charity, if you love to read take a book to your local senior center.





I've posted volunteering statistics for the three states that have the most visitors to my blog (thank you Google Analytics), if you're curious about your own state check out volunteeringinamerica.gov. Personally I'm a bit embarrassed for New Jersey...we're ranked dead last in volunteer hours per person and 49th for volunteer rate. Step it up garden state!

1 comment:

  1. Jennie, I don't think you need to be embarrassed for New Jersey. Think of it in another way, maybe people in New Jersey volunteer more but don't need the recognition for their service. I see people helping others everywhere I go in the garden state. I think we are happy we can help others and are too busy doing just that to care if our service has been "recorded" so we can improve our status. Think positive!

    ReplyDelete