09 May 2010

Bye Bye Mbind Sathioke


The hardest part about pre service training hasn't been learning a new language or navigating a new culture. It hasn't been dealing with 100+ degree temperatures or giant spiders or stinging ants. It wasn't living without running water or toilet paper or even a proper toilet for that matter. The hardest thing I've done in Senegal so far was saying goodbye to my family. Its amazing how close I've become with this group of people that I've only been living with for 9 weeks, when we didn't even speak the same language for most of that time. I'm excited to move to Sambande and get started on some projects, but it's bittersweet because I have to leave the people that took me in and treated me like one of their own when I couldn't speak Seereer and didn't even know how to eat rice with my hand. I know its more of a "see you later" than an actual goodbye, but if leaving people I've only lived with for two months is hard I don't know how I'll be able to leave Senegal after two years!

My aunt Badji, the only woman who can outshine
the hot African sun


No comments:

Post a Comment