17 April 2010

The Slightly Selfish Post...

A lot of you have been asking me about sending letters and packages. To make it easier for everyone I'm going to get really specific with instructions. I'm between addresses right now, so if you're going to send me an envelope in the next few weeks you can send it to my Thies address, but packages need to go to a temporary address that I'm borrowing from someone in Kaolack since they probably won't get to Thies before I leave. After May 5th send everything to the Kaolack address, or else it will sit in Thies for 3 months before I can go back up there to get it.

Letters (until May 5):
Jennie Wysong
Corps de la Paix
BP 299
Thies, Senegal
West Africa

Packages (and letters after May 5):
PCV Cora Siipola
For: Jennie Wysong
BP 2163
Ndorng

Kaolack, Senegal
West Africa

I have to pay a customs fee of at least $3 on any package I receive, so a cheaper alternative to packages (for both of us) is to send small things in envelopes. Regular envelopes or big manila envelopes both work fine, but be sure to tape the flap and the corners/seams really well.

Great things to put in envelopes are:
stickers
extra envelopes (so I can write you back!)
incense sticks
burned CDs
tea bags
drink mix packets
ziploc bags
earplugs
candies
pictures of you!
super glue
colored pencils/pens
spices
seeds (veggies!)
pens/mechanical pencils
Anything small that you think kids might like (think dollar store!)

The cheapest way to send a box is to use one of those USPS Flat Rate Boxes. A small box should cost between $13-15, medium is $35-50, and large (God bless you) is $55-65. Don't bother paying for express shipping because all that does is guarantee that it will get to Dakar really fast, but it could still take a while to get to me. Senegal is one of the most reliable places to send packages in Africa...they almost always make it in a decent amount of time and aren't typically messed with. If you send food (please send food!) be sure to wrap it in tin foil and put it in ziploc bags, even if its packaged, because mice to get into the boxes sometimes. I will absolutely love anything you send me, but if you need ideas...

Care Package Wish List
summer sausage
potato peeler
sharpie pens (http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Product/Sharpie_Pen.html)
Oregon chai tea mix packets
moleskin (or similar) notebooks
cliff bars
spices (old bay seasoning!!!)
bullion cubes
AA batteries
mouse traps
metal water bottles
essential oils (citrus)
M&Ms, Reeses Pieces, skittles, etc
beef jerky (but not slim jim, yuck!)
orbit gum
guilty pleasure cereal (captain crunch, coco puffs etc)

And if you're really feeling generous or you want to get an early jump on Christmas or something...all but two pairs of my underwear were stolen off of the line at the training center (gross!) and I'm desperate for more. The ex officio underwear lasts the longest here and dries really fast, but I wouldn't say no to a plain old pack of hanes either. So if you want to get a pair or two of black, size medium and throw them in an envelops I would be eternally grateful.

Also I sent out a lot of letters last time I was in Thies so keep an eye on your mailboxes! If you want a letter from Africa leave a comment with your address, or better yet send me a card and I'll be sure to send you one back!

No comments:

Post a Comment