05 April 2010

Everyone needs a vacation...even in Africa




Thanks to Easter and Independence day both falling on Sunday, this weekend we got our first days off since we arrived in Senegal a month ago. Yesterday I took full advantage of my down time and just laid around doing absolutely nothing. I did manage to do laundry though so I wasn't entirely unproductive. Today 4 other volunteers and I took a sept place, a 1980s station wagon, to the beach in Saly near Mbour. I wasn't sure at first that I wanted to go through the hassle of traveling the hour there and trying to negotiate the transportation garage with my limited french, but I'm so glad I decided to go. It was like traveling to an entirely different country...if I didn't know I was in Africa I would have guessed we were in the Caribbean. A few hours of sand, surf and sunburn later I'm totally rejuvenated and ready for training to start again tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment