28 September 2009

Ringing Rocks Park

Today I made a little side trip on the way home from dropping Jen and Kevin off at the Airport in Philly. I figured while I was over there I might as well make use of my $4 toll and spend a few hours at Ringing Rocks Park in Pottstown, PA. It's basically a seven acre open space covered 10 feet think in big boulders, and when you hit them just right they ring like bells. Don't believe me? Check out this video:


When you strike the rock it creates a series of tones at frequencies lower that the human ear can hear, but when they interact with each other it creates a sound high-pitched enough to be audible. We know how they ring, but no one really knows why. Scientists suspect it has something to do with stress within the rocks.

I was secretly hoping to find something large enough to boulder, but since all the big rocks are half buried by smaller ones nothing really has any decent height to it. The only thing I found was a little three move problem that was easy even for me in tennis shoes. Still I managed to entertain myself with a little rock hopping and I discovered some features on my camera to take a few cool pictures. Mostly I just relaxed in the sun until the clouds rolled back in and forced me home.







































No comments:

Post a Comment