10 August 2010

But you gotta have friends...

"Much of the vitality in a friendship lies in the honoring of differences, not simply in the enjoyment of similarities." -Anonymous

Meet Bassirou Mbodgi, my next door neighbor and best friend in Sambande. When I'm in the village he's the person I spend 80% of my time with. Mostly we just sit under the shade tree and joke around, but he also helps me with projects, walks with me to the road town and teaches me wolof and seereer. Most Senegalese people (people in general?) only help you if they think they can get something out of it, but Bass has never once asked me for anything...he won't even let me buy him a bean sandwich when we go to the road town. Sometimes I think I would go completely crazy in my village if it wasn't for him...its good to have someone I can let my guard down around.

1 comment:

  1. What's that song - "Ya' gotta have friends" ? I'm Glad you have such a good friend. It makes me feel that you are safer than I imagined.

    Stay safe
    Be careful
    Love you lots
    Mom

    ReplyDelete