19 April 2009

Adventure Skills

I took most of my classes for my Outdoor Education minor out of order, and this semester I'm wrapping it all up with intro to adventure skills. A little odd to be taking an intro class at the end of it all, but its given me an opportunity to help with some of the climbing instruction which was a lot of fun. We took two trips this semester, a canoe trip on the Hardware river and a climbing trip this past Friday to Little Stoney Man Cliffs near Luray, VA. The weather was absolutely perfect...60 degrees and sunny (I've got the farmers tan to prove it.)

We set up all of our anchors at the top of the cliff band then rappelled down and climbed back up. My favorite climb was my last climb of the day, this 60 foot crack with a lot of opportunities for hand jams and lay backs. Cristen, Vic and I had climbed there last semester with the wilderness pursuits class, so Dr. Koesler had us set up a couple of beginner climbs while she took the class down the trail to do a little last minute climbing instruction. While we were setting up Cristen snagged this great shot of the three of us...look closely at my sunglasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment